We have previously drawn attention to Gary Hayes’ “Counter” for Social Media use which shows the amount of social media activity taking place at any given moment. This can be found at the bottom of this post. It suggests that our blog post today was one of over 2 million posted worldwide in the past 24 hours – along with 175 million tweets and an astonishing 3.2 billion likes and comments on Facebook.
Mr Hayes explains on the background to the Counter on his blog. As well as providing daily, weekly, monthly and yearly figures for activities on blogs, You Tube, Facebook, Twitter, Skype and other “social media”, the counter has tabs for “mobile telephones”, online games and one labelled “heritage” – dealing with the US Box office, TV revenues, films, radio stations and similar.
He has some June 2012 sourced figures for social media use including
- 3.2 billion likes and comments on Facebook daily Source Apr-12
- 2 million blogs posts written daily Source Mar-12
- 175 million tweets sent daily Source Feb-12
- YouTube has 2 billion plays per day Source Apr-12
- The Google+ button is pressed 5 billion times daily Source Feb-12
- There are 300 million photos uploaded to Facebook daily Source Apr-12
- Daily videos uploaded to YouTube is 829 440 Source Apr-12
- 58 photos per second uploaded via Instagram Source Mar-12
- 22 million hours of TV & Movies watched on Netflix daily Source Mar-12
- Facebook gets 526 million users daily Source Apr-12
We cannot vouch for the accuracy of the Counter but it gives a strong indication – particular to those who do not use social media – of the immensely high levels of activity which are now taking place. Gary Hayes can be found on Twitter, he also has a blog. This is the Counter
more about “Social Media Use – A Counter”, posted with vodpod
Leave a Reply