Phone Hacking Trial: Hundreds of hacking calls made from ‘private wire’ inside NI HQ, jury told – Martin Hickman

28 11 2013

News-International-007Day 24: Hundreds of hacking calls were made from a “private wire” inside News International’s headquarters, the Old Bailey heard today.

Among those whose voicemails were accessed from the “generic” phone link at Wapping in east London were Katie Price, Tessa Jowell, celebrity PR advisor Alan Edwards and three Mail on Sunday journalists – Sebastian Hamilton, Dennis Rice and Laura Collins, the hacking trial was told.

Princes William and Harry’s private secretary, Jamie Lowther-Pinkerton, alone was called 416 times during a nine-month period, the court heard.

The prosecution outlined the evidence from phone records during the fifth week of the trial of former executives at Rupert Murdoch’s now-closed News of the World for phone hacking.

Prosecuting, Mark Bryant-Heron told the jury that as well as voicemails being illegally accessed by the paper’s private detective, Glenn Mulcaire, “hacking calls” were also made from inside News International.

Landlines at the newspaper group’s offices which hacked mobile phones and voicemail were routed through a generic Vodafone number – 07836 951312 – which the police, he said, had described as a “private wire.”

He explained to the jury that any landline number at News International could have been routed through the “link”.

By examining phone records and other data, detectives had stripped out the “hacking calls” made to the mobile phones and direct dial voicemail numbers of newsworthy individuals.

The calls started on 26 October 2005 and ended on 5 August 2006, days before the arrest of Mulcaire, Mr Bryant-Heron said.

He added that they often tallied with notes made by Mulcaire about newsworthy individuals which bore the tasking name ‘Ian’.

The judge, Mr Justice John Saunders, told the jury that it was not agreed – and they must decide – whether the ‘Ian’ in question was the News of the World’s then news editor, Ian Edmondson.

Mr Edmondson and three others deny charges of conspiring to intercept mobile communications. All eight defendants in the case – which is expected to last up to six month – have pleaded not guilty. The trial will resume on Wednesday next week.

The #pressreform blog has full coverage of the tweets and articles from the trial.


Actions

Information

One response

28 11 2013
davidhencke

Reblogged this on David Hencke and commented:
This is a breathtaking disclosure of a huge number of hacking calls made not from private investigator Glenn Mulcaire who police discovered had been paid £1m by News International over many years but actually from inside News International HQ.
When one thinks it is alleged that Prince William and Harry’s private secretary was targeted 416 times in nine months and even journalists on the rival Mail on Sunday were receiving hacking calls this appears like an industrial scale enterprise.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.




%d bloggers like this: