This year the law of Privacy as it affects the media has been an issue strongly debated in the UK Parliament as well as in the Press. Article 8 has had a great impact on UK law on investigatory powers (Regulation of Investigatory Powers Act) and on family law (Tchenguiz v Imerman). The European Convention on Human Rights requires French Law to conform to the same standards. But France has apparently achieved this with less controversy. Why the difference? At the Annual Conference of the Franco-British Lawyers’ Society, senior judges, lawyers and academics from the UK and France and the Information Commission, will address these highly topical issues.
The Conference will be chaired by Mr Justice Tugendhat and will be held at King’s College London on Friday 23 September, 8.30am – 5.30pm. On Friday evening there will be a Gala Dinner in the Inner Temple, in the presence of HE Bernard Emié, Ambassador of France to the United Kingdom
The theme of the Conference is “Privacy in an Open Society / Respect de la Vie Privée et Liberté d’Expression.”
Privacy and the Media
- Roger Errera, Conseiller d’Etat Honoraire
- Mark Warby QC, 5 Raymond Buildings
Privacy and the Press
- Gillian Phillips, Director of Legal Services for The Guardian
- Nicolas Bonnal, Ancien Président de la Chambre de la Press, TGI de Paris
Privacy in the Internet Age
- Rt Hon Lord Justice Mummery, President of the Investigatory Powers Tribunal (IPT), Interception and Surveillance
- M Jean-Louis Dewost, Conseiller d’Etat Honoraire. Le droit et la pratique des écoutes téléphoniques
Privacy and Matrimonial Law
- William Longrigg, Charles Russell LLP, European President, International Academy of Matrimonial Lawyers
- Maitre Alexandre Boiche, Cabinet CBBC Paris
Protection of Privacy:
- Christopher Graham, Information Commissioner
- Nuala Mole, Director of AIRE Centre (Advice on Individual Rights in Europe)
During Lunch, Sonia Delesalle-Stopler, London correspondent of “Liberation” will give a short address from the Press bench.
The event qualifies for 6 CPD points.
For further information and Registration Form, please contact Robert Stevenson on Robert.Stevenson@blm-law.com.