The Defamation Bill tabled by Lord Lester in the House of Lords is an important step forward in the Libel Reform debate. It is having its second reading in the House of Lords on 9 July 2010. As a contribution to that debate we are pleased to announce a conference arranged by MBL in association with Inforrm on the Defamation Bill. The conference will take place in London on Thursday 15th July 2010 at 14:00 – 17:15.
The Conference will feature the following speakers dealing with different aspects of the Defamation Bill:
- Responsible publication on matters of public interest
Alistair Mullis, Professor of Law at the University of East Anglia
- Qualified Privilege, Responsibility for Publication and Multiple Publications
Gill Phillips, Head of Legal at Guardian Media Group
- Honest Opinion and Truth Defences
Mark Thomson, Atkins Thomson and Lorna Skinner, Matrix Chambers
- Trivial libels, Jurisdiction and other issues concerning the proposed Defamation Bill
Hugh Tomlinson QC, Matrix
- Common Law Development or Statutory Codification?
Desmond Browne QC, Joint Head of Chambers, 5 Raymond Buildings
See Link here for booking details.