When Harry met his ancestors, on the way to the law courts: Volume II – Amber Melville-Brown

8 11 2019

When Harry Met his Ancestors – Volume I finished tantalizingly as we saw Meghan Markle, Duchess of Sussex, following in the legal footsteps of her father-in-law, her sister-in-law, Queen Victoria ancestor to hubby Harry, and an anonymized non-royal, on her way to potential legal success in her privacy claim. Read the rest of this entry »





Meghan and the Car Park: Anatomy of a Royal News “Story” – Brian Cathcart

25 10 2019

On 12 April this year the front page headline of the Sun was ‘NOT IN MEG BACK YARD’. The report began: ‘Prince Harry and Meghan have infuriated Royal Household staff at Windsor by banning them from using a car park — because it overlooks their new home.Read the rest of this entry »





Meghan Markle letter: what the law says about the press, privacy and the public’s right to know – Hayleigh Bosher

6 10 2019

The Duke and Duchess of Sussex have announced plans to sue the publisher of the Mail on Sunday Associated Newspapers, after they published a private letter from Meghan to her father earlier this year. Read the rest of this entry »





Prince Harry and Meghan Markle Standing Up to the British Media Protects Us All from Press Abuse – Brian Cathcart

5 10 2019

The victims of press abuses are usually ordinary people, not famous ones, and those ordinary people are usually powerless.  That is why, when the Duchess of Sussex, Meghan Markle, sues the Mail on Sunday, and her husband Prince Harry complains of a campaign of fabrications against her, it matters to everyone. Read the rest of this entry »





Prince Harry brings phone hacking claims against the Mirror and the Sun

4 10 2019

The website, Byline Investigates, has revealed that Prince Harry is suing the Sun and the Daily Mirror for phone hacking.  The claims were issued in the Chancery Division on 27 September 2019. Read the rest of this entry »





So why is Prince Harry attacking the press again? – Brian Cathcart

2 10 2019

Why is Prince Harry attacking the press again? According to Sky News’s royal correspondent Rhiannon Mills, it would appear he’s lost his mind.  Read the rest of this entry »





Prince Harry and David Beckham: a close look at IPSO’s approach to privacy – Oliver Lock

14 08 2017

IPSO recently published its decisions on two separate privacy complaints brought against the Mail Online: the first by Prince Harry (which was upheld) and the second by David and Victoria Beckham (which was not). Read the rest of this entry »





Phone Hacking Trial: Princes William and Harry, Interviews of Brooks and Coulson – Martin Hickman

20 12 2013

William Harry KateDay 32: Princes William and Harry were targets of the News of the World’s phone hacking operation, the phone hacking trial heard yesteday.  At the Old Bailey, prosecutor Andrew Edis read out a series of recordings of voicemails left by or for the princes which were recovered from the homes of the News of the World’s private detective, Glen Mulcaire, and its royal editor, Clive Goodman, in 2006. Read the rest of this entry »





Phone Hacking Trial: Transcript and recording of Prince Harry’s voicemail found at royal editor’s home, jury told – Martin Hickman

14 11 2013

harryDay 13 (cont):   The News of the World’s royal editor Clive Goodman had a verbatim transcript of a voicemail left by Prince Harry, the hacking trial was told today. The document and a poor-quality recording of the mobile phone message were seized by police from Mr Goodman’s home in south-west London in 2006, the court was told. Read the rest of this entry »





RocknRoll and News Group Newspapers (and “The Trouble with Harry”) – Jonathan McCully

22 01 2013

Edward Rocknroll was granted an interim-injunction pending trial on 8 January 2013, which prevented the Sun from publishing a potentially embarrassing photograph of  him in its paper ([2013] EWHC 24 (Ch)). Following the hearing, Mr Rocknroll and his wife, Kate Winslet made the following statement“We have stopped the Sun from publishing semi-naked photos of Ned taken by a friend at a private 21st birthday party a few years ago. The photos are innocent but embarrassing and there is no reason to splash them across a newspaper.  We recognise that in the internet age privacy is harder and harder to maintain. But we will continue to do what we can, particularly to protect Kate’s children from the results of media intrusion. We refuse to accept that her career means our family can’t live a relatively normal life”. Read the rest of this entry »