Law and Media Round Up – 18 July 2011

18 07 2011

In this regular feature we draw attention to the last week’s law and media news and next week’s upcoming events. If readers have any news or events which they would like to draw attention to please add them by way of comments on this post.

News

The phone hacking story remains the only media news in town. In last week’s round up we recorded the transformation of phone hacking from a story in a few broadsheets to a worldwide media phenomenon. The first week of the “phone hacking firestorm” was
Read the rest of this entry »





Tabloid journalism after the News of the World – more invasion of privacy

17 07 2011

On the first Sunday after the demise of the “News of the World” the sunday tabloids had a moment of opportunity to reach out to new readers and boost their falling circulation.   A time, it might have been thought, for some quality journalism – eye catching headlines, exposés of wrongdoers, based on solid investigation.  Read the rest of this entry »





News: Phone Hacking – after “Bloody Friday”, what comes next?

16 07 2011

The phone hacking story has now dominated the headlines for nearly two weeks.  Yesterday was described by the “Guardian” as “Bloody Friday”.  First, Rebekah Brooks fell victim to “Alastair Campbell’s Law” – having herself being the story for this period – resigning from her position as Chief Executive of News International.  Later on the Chief Executive of Dow Jones, Les Hinton, also resigned.  This seemed inevitable after his “one rogue reporter” evidence to the Culture Media and Sport Committee in March 2007 and September 2009. Read the rest of this entry »





News: Phone Hacking – Parliamentary committees, another arrest and “minor mistakes”

15 07 2011

The phone hacking saga has, in less than two weeks, moved from the inside of the broadsheets – and blogs like this one – to front page news around the world. A number of items in the torrent of hacking stories have caught our attention. First, Select Committees have been in the news. On 12 July 2011 the House of Commons Home Affairs Committee heard evidence from Lord Blair, Peter Clarke, Andy Hayman, John Yates and Sue Akers. The evidence of the various officers has been widely commented on in the press. The transcript of the evidence is here.
Read the rest of this entry »





Defamation in France: Nicholas Anelka’s curious action is unsuccessful

14 07 2011

The Chelsea footballer Nicholas Anelka has lost a curious criminal defamation action against L’Equipe, the French sports daily arising out of the publication of his World Cup tirade at the national coach, Raymond Domenech. L’Equipe published a front page account of Anelka’s outburst at Domenech at half-time of France’s Group A game against Mexico in South Africa on 17 June 2010 (see right). According to the newspaper, when Domenech told him to play in a different way in the second half Anelka told the then France manager “go screw yourself, dirty son of a whore”, Anelka claimed that he never said those precise words, but was expelled from the team in disgrace, with his teammates then staging their infamous mutiny.
Read the rest of this entry »





News: Prime Minister Announces Inquiries led by Lord Justice Leveson

13 07 2011

The Prime Minister today announced in parliament that there are to be two inquiries both overseen by Lord Justice Leveson. Evidence is to be given under oath and witnesses can be compelled to attend and crucially they can compel production of documents. The Judiciary website has available a number of speeches made by Leveson LJ over the last few years.

The draft detailed terms of reference are set out below.

Read the rest of this entry »





Opinion: Phone Hacking, Libel and Access to Justice – Steven Heffer

13 07 2011

The present proposals by the MOJ to abolish the recovery by successful claimants of the success fees on “no win no fee” libel and privacy cases and the recovery of “After The Event” (ATE) insurance premiums represents a damaging and dangerous attack on access to justice for ordinary citizens of modest means. Read the rest of this entry »





Opinion: Was it human rights wot won the phone hacking scandal? – Adam Wagner

12 07 2011

This year may be remembered as the year of Article 8. The public may not realise it, but the two major news stories of this year have had at their core the 8th article of the European Convention on Human Rights, the right to privacy and family life. And without this controversial law, the phone-hacking scandal may never have been exposed.
Read the rest of this entry »





Phone Hacking, Police Corruption and Media Manipulation

11 07 2011

In an extraordinary statement released today the Metropolitan Police have claimed that there is a “deliberate campaign to undermine the investigation” into allegations of corrupt payments by journalists to police officers and to “divert attention from elsewhere“.  Read the rest of this entry »





Law and Media Round Up – 11 July 2011 [Updated]

11 07 2011

In this regular feature we draw attention to the last week’s law and media news and next week’s upcoming events. If readers have any news or events which they would like to draw attention to please add them by way of comments on this post.

News

Six days is a long time in politics and the media.  Last week we suggested that after Super-injunction spring we had entered a quiet summer. In less than a week the English media scene appears to have changed for ever.  A classic media storm generated by a Read the rest of this entry »